KVPY 2020 : Complete Information
The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is an ongoing National Basic Science Fellowship Program, launched and funded by the Government of India’s Department of Science and Technology to encourage extraordinarily highly motivated students to undertake basic science and research careers in the field of science.
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, will conduct the KVPY exam of 2020. KVPY entrance exam is a regional entrance examination conducted on the basis of the Aptitude Test and Interview conducted by IISc to identify the eligible candidates. Applicants are awarded scholarships up to Pre-PhD level of their choice through the KVPY exam. Eligible candidates who are awarded the scholarships will be able to pursue their research science careers.
Notification for KVPY 2020
KVPY 2020 Admit Card will be released online in the second week of October 2020. Applicants who successfully submit the application form can download their admit cards. Candidates are required to carry their admit cards together with the proof of identity to appear for the examination.
Eligibility Criteria for KVPY 2020
Stream SA has students who are in XI Standard during the academic year in which KVPY exam is conducted.
For Stream SA:
Candidates who have passed the 10th class with science and mathematics subject with a score of 75 per cent (65 per cent for SC/ST/PWD candidates) may apply.
Those appearing in the 11th class can also apply.
Stream SX has students who are in XII Standard during the academic year in which KVPY exam is conducted. They’ve got to give the SX/SB test.
For Stream SX:
Applicants must pass the 10th class with mathematics and science (PCB) subjects and obtain 75 per cent marks (65 per cent for reserved candidates).
Applicants who have passed 10 + 2 examination from a recognized board with a minimum of 60 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PWD candidates) in mathematics and science subjects (PCB) may also apply.
Stream SB has students who are in the first year of their undergraduate program in basic sciences during the academic year in which KVPY is conducted. They’ve got to give an SX/SB test.
For Stream SB:
Applicants are required to pass the 12th grade with 60 per cent marks in mathematics and physics/chemistry/biology (50 per cent for SC/ST/PWD candidates).
Appearing in the first year of the UG Program in Basic Sciences such as Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics and Biology leading to BSc/BS/BStat/BMath/Int. MSc, Int. Um, MS with 60 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PWD) before the start of the fellowship.
Important Dates for KVPY 2020
(Tentative) Candidates may check for different events in the table below:
|Deadline to apply Online for KVPY||1st week of September 2020|
|Admit Card availability||2nd week of October 2020|
|KVPY 2020 Exam Date||1st week of November 2020|
|Result declaration||3rd week of December 2020|
|Last Date of Interview||4th week February 2021|
Admit Card for KVPY 2020
KVPY Admit Card can be downloaded from http://www.kvpy.iisc.ernet.in
- KVPY Admit Card application system is fully online.
- Through signing in with their KVPY Application Number and Birth Date, applicants can get their admission ticket.
- The KVPY Admit Card download facility is available from October first week to the date of the examination.
- It should be remembered that the admit card is not sent by email to the candidates.
Exam Pattern of KVPY 2020
KVPY is conducted in two rounds: Aptitude Test and Personal Interview. While the aptitude part measures the expertise of an applicant through different topics, the interview process would assess the candidate’s understanding of science and research.
Exam Pattern of KVPY 2020
|Mode of Examination||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple choice questions (MCQs). Every question has an equivalent mark weightage. For SA Stream, attempting all questions is compulsory. However, there is an option to try any three sections in PART I and any two sections in PART II for SB/SX stream.|
|Language||The examination will be held in English and Hindi.|
|Marking Scheme||There are two parts of the question paper. For correct and incorrect answers, candidates are awarded + 1 and -1⁄4 in Part 1 of the test. For Part 2, applicants are given + 2 and -1⁄2 respectively for correct and incorrect responses.|
Exam Syllabus of KVPY 2020
For SA stream:
- Physics: Daily Life Applications, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Physical World and Measurement, Gravity, Thermodynamics, Current Magnetic Effects, Energy Sources, Reflection, Refraction, Electromagnetic Induction.
- Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Matter of States: Gases and liquids, Element Classification and Periodicity in Properties, Environmental Chemistry, Chemical Reactions, Metals and Non-metals, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon Compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, Basic Chemistry Concepts
- Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions, Real Numbers, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Statistics, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Surface Areas and Volumes
- Biology: Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Human Physiology, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Heredity and Evolution, Reproduction, Life Processes, Our Environment
For SX stream
- Physics: Thermodynamics, Electrostatics, Refraction, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Magnetic Effects of Current, Reflection of Light, Electromagnetic Induction, Kinematics, Work, Energy and Power, Sources of Energy, Physical World and Measurement, Gravitation, Laws of Motion
- Chemistry: Chemical Reactions, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Periodic Classification of Elements, Surface Chemistry, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Metals and Non-metals, Carbon Compounds, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Biology: Human Physiology, Biology and Human Welfare, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Ecology and Environment, Cell: Structure and Function, Genetics and Evolution, Life Processes, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Reproduction
- Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions, Geometry, Linear Programming, Vectors and 3D Geometry, Calculus, Relations and Functions, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Real Numbers, Polynomials, Introduction to Trigonometry, Surface Areas and Volumes, Statistics and Quadratic Equations, Probability, Statistics, and Probability
For SB stream
- Physics: Thermodynamics, Reflections, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Electrostatics and Thermal Physics, Electromagnetic Induction, Physical World and Measurement, Energy Sources, Refraction and its Daily Life Applications, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Magnetic Effects
- Chemistry: Metals and Non-metals, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Element Isolation, Surface Chemistry, Chemical Bonding, Noble Gas Chemistry, Structure and Bonding, Alkenes, Cycloalkenes, Dienes and Alkynes, Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Basic Chemical Concepts, Periodic Element Classification, Carbon Compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, Matter States: Gases and Liquids, Element Classification and Property Periodicity
- Biology: Plant Physiology, Reproduction, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Biology and Human Welfare, Biotechnology, Genetics, Life Processes, Human Physiology, Animal and Plant Control and Coordination, Genetics and Evolution
- Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Functions of Trigonometry, Linear Programming, Relationships and Functions, Calculus, Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Analytical Geometry in Two Dimensions, Vector Algebra, Evaluation of Integrals, Statistics, Surface Areas and Volumes
Books for KVPY 2020
- A Das Guptha R. D. Sharma; Publisher: Dhanpat
- Mathematics for class XII
- Problem in IIT Maths
- NCERT Books
- Fundamentals of Physics, David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
- Concept of Physics, DC Pandey
- Tata Mc Graw Hill’s Book, HC Verma
- Principles of Physics, Resnick & Halliday
- Modern ABC of Chemistry for Class – XI with CD, Modern Publishers
- NCERT Physical & Organic Chemistry, OP Tondon
- NCERT Chemistry for Class 11 & 12, Arihant Publications
- Biological Sciences by Taylor Green and Stout by Cambridge Publications
- Elementary Biology (Volume – 1) by K.N. Bhatia, M.P. Tyagi, Trueman
- NCERT Books
- NCERT Exemplars
- Biology class 10
Exam Preparation Tips for KVPY 2020
- Make notes using short statements which include both key points and principles.
- Check the online KVPY 2020 Syllabus before starting preparing for the test.
- Monitor and evaluate every test series from time to time.
- Solve past question papers and sample papers to enhance test preparation.
- Prepare the schedule and follow it on a daily basis.
- Go through KVPY 2020’s entire program and pattern.
- Do some yoga and meditation to boost your concentration power to focus better.
- Do a mock test every day to gauge your level of preparation and keep improving with it.
Career Progression after Qualifying
Students who qualify for a KVPY exam are eligible for a fellowship. KVPY clearance advantages can only be obtained if a student completes a basic science undergraduate program.
Key rewards of passing KVPY 2020: Regular and monthly grants are given up to pre-PhD.
After clearing KVPY 2020, candidates have a better chance of being admitted to the top IISc, IISERs, IIIT-Hyderabad institutes, etc. Candidates will have free entry to the National Laboratories/Universities for the Library, Laboratory services, etc.
|BASIC SCIENCE||Monthly Fellowship||Annual Contingency Grant|
|SA/SX/SB, 1st to 3rd year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math. /Integrated M.Sc./M.S.||₹5,000||₹20,000|
|SA/SX/SB, during M. Sc./4th to 5th year of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S./M.Math./M.Stat.||₹7,000||₹28,000|
Renewal of Fellowship
- A fellow proceeds to research basic science courses at school/junior college/ university and retains a minimum level of first class academic performance or 60 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PWD) marks in cumulative or equal grade points. The students will automatically pass all the subjects recommended for that specific academic year (two semesters in the case of a semester system) and in the process of research, in each school year, the marks/grades will have to be approved by the Dean or President of the Institution. If the above marks/grades are not achieved, the fellowship will be terminated.
- Nevertheless, if the fellow passes all subjects and obtains more than 60 per cent (50 per cent for SC/ST/PWD) marks in subsequent years, the fellowship may only be extended from that year onwards on the condition that the fellow obtains 60 per cent (50 per cent for SC / ST / PWD) overall marks each year. This is active from 2012 onwards. The applicant is eligible to receive a KVPY Fellowship up to the Pre-PhD level or 5 years of age, whichever is older.
In addition to the above, attendance and adequate results in the Summer Camp during the first year and the Summer Project is needed each year thereafter for the renewal of the fellowship.
Question: Can I take the 2019 KVPY in Hindi?
Question: How is the KVPY exam conducted?
Question: What are the advantages of passing KVPY exam?
Question: What’s SA/SX/SB in reference to KVPY exam?